Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Weird Choir Experience

So I joined a local women's choir. It has been really fun to sing with a group again, and start getting to know a few people. The only downside is that we are singing 50's music which is all heartthrob and "I can't live without my guy!" type music. As I thought about it a bit more, I realize that almost everyone touches on the love theme in music (though maybe not always from such a co-dependent or lop-sided perspective. Thank goodness society has made a little progress!)

Well, the other night we sang some 'churchy' songs. Ok, songs of a religious-themed nature. One was called "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High". Of course, growing up Mormon, I had never heard this before (or any of them for that matter.)

I freely admit it was weird singing songs about Jesus and saying "Lord, I lift your name on high" when I don't believe in that (the "Lord") anymore. I wonder if the 'weirdy' feeling was more from my Mormon background. I would have felt weird being Mormon and singing that song. Now it's even more weird.

But I'll also admit to feeling emotion. I felt the good vibe-what I might have termed earlier in my life as 'the Holy Ghost'-or goosebumps a few times. (But I had goosebumps when we were singing "Fiddler on the Roof" too.) I think any good music can do that. I also felt some pangs and even had a tear in my eyes as I sang "I'm so glad You're in my life". I'm not quite sure what the emotion was. Not really regret, but perhaps sorrow for missing having an imaginary friend that's all-powerful, all-knowing, and loves me.

So it was a somewhat awkward, weird experience singing a Jesus-y song in a church basement when I consider myself an atheist and ex-Mormon. Oh well. Life can be weirder. I'll report about that when it happens!

No comments: