Saturday, April 12, 2008

the healing garden

I started my 'flower garden' (i.e. the seeds) indoors not even two weeks ago. I have already transplanted the Comos because they grew too tall for the starter storage container so quickly. I now have two sweet pea plant that are banging their heads on the roof top of the starter kit. Wow! It is fun to see them grow.

I was just finishing reading "Tending the Earth, Mending the Spirit: The Healing Gifts of Gardening" by Connie Goldman and Richard Mahler as I began my flower garden. If you love gardening, I highly recommend this book. If you don't like gardening, but have suffered a loss or are going through a difficult time, I highly recommend this book. It doesn't focus on the how-to's of gardening, but rather the emotional healing, the spiritual connection people feel towards the earth and others as they create and tend to their gardens. Connie Goldman shares comments from gardeners from all over the country about how they feel while they garden, why they garden, the healing and help to endure/survive difficult times that has come through gardening in peoples lives.

I really liked it. And I do believe that many people are suffering in various ways (high stress, anger, disconnection and isolation) by a lack of connection with the earth and growing things. One day I became extremely upset over something a (distant) family member said. I was livid. I knew I needed to get out of the house and run to a store with a plant nursery. Let me tell you it helped. Granted, I did a lot of self talking, but just being around plants truly helps me to calm down. There is a large indoor garden in my city that I love to visit on occasion. It helps me to feel grounded.

As I feel like I have cut off friends from the past, and even a large portion of my family (by way of leaving the church) I realized-I need new friends--I need a garden! Check out this book from your library (that's where I found this) and see what you think. Let me know your thoughts. I would love to send a copy to Molly over at Green Hope Farms (see my link to her blog on the right of the screen). Molly is often writing about the connection people have with plants and flowers, and the incredible healing power of plants, flowers, and flower essences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there!

Thank you for your kind words about the book I wrote with Connie Goldman (Tending the Earth, Mending the Spirit). It warms my heart to hear that someone really "got" the message of our work, and is passing an endorsement on to others. I'd love to hear from you at rmahler@cruzio.com. Learn more about me (and my other books, including another written with Connie) at www.RichardMahler.com. May your garden grow well this summer!

Richard Mahler