Friday, April 11, 2008

A new take on being unemployed--part 1

The Career Encourager is on vacation this week. http://careerencouragement.typepad.com/the_career_encouragement_/2008/04/happy-friday.html Lucky her. I recall a sibling lamenting the problem with being unemployed is that you can't enjoy your leisure time because that is all you have. Now, my unemployed life is not all leisure time, but it reminds me of my spouse making the comment: "Enjoy it [being unemployed] while you can. Think of this as retirement, because once you start working, you'll be working for the rest of your life."

Good point. Others have also advised me to enjoy my "free time" now before it's gone. This has been fun to fantasize about. As I have cultivated the mindset of 'enjoying my retirement' right now, I've been thinking about the things that I've always wanted to do. It has allowed me a little space to determine what do I really want to do with my life?

Some things aren’t feasible (like vacationing and traveling around the world). But others are in my grasp, and now begun--like starting my flower garden. With this kind of mind-set, perhaps I can refocus my job search and find employment that allows me to make the contributions I want to make to the world and satisfies my life goals. This a great time to contemplate what life pursuits I really want to undertake.

No comments: